Finding space for a garden office can be hard, especially if you live in a city or a town where outside space is limited. However, if you’re one of the lucky people who has managed to get an office in your garden and are now looking for the best ways to kit it out, we’ve compiled a few tips on how to make the most of that space in order to create and open and creative atmosphere for you to perform at the best of your abilities. Take a look at our suggestions below and hopefully we’ll give you a bit of creative inspiration!
- Do leave your windows bare – if you’re in a small room, lighting is super important. Rather than being a hermit and working in the dark, let the light in. Natural light helps create the illusion of space and freshness and automatically makes the room seem less miserable and dingy, plus you can spend hours daydreaming out the window (however, this is not recommended when trying to run a business…)
- Do get a load of mirrors – Well not necessarily a load, one or two will do. But make sure you get some. Mirrors, like windows can automatically make a room seem bigger and more airy if you place them strategically. Working in a small and confined space can sometimes feel claustrophobic – especially when you’re stressed – so make sure you make it seem like there’s plenty of room for those creative thoughts to float around. Again like windows, they are also great for distraction as if you set them up strategically you can spend hours admiring yourself from different angles.
- Do use lamps instead of lights – If you’re a bit of a night owl or simply work crazy long hours, the likelihood is you’ll be working in the dark. Overhead lights can be overbearing and pool all the light in the room to one place, thus making the room seem smaller. A scattering of lamps and other light sources can instantly make a room seem more expansive and draw the eye around the room more rather than to one focal point.
- Do buy glass or Lucite furnishings – Things like desks and tables can end up taking quite a lot of room within the home office so make sure that you buy clever. Lucite and Glass furnishings are see through (obviously) meaning that having them in the room makes it look way bigger than it actually is, as the surfaces aren’t covered with the dark colours of wood. These furnishings are also the ‘in’ thing right now so are fairly easy to pick up on the cheap!
- Do get hidden storage – hidden storage is going to be a life saver in a small office, clear away the clutter to create an open space for brainstorming and clear thinking. You can get a variety of clever and stylish contraptions that will help with your filing and storage and they are honestly worth every penny. If your job requires a lot of paper work, hidden storage allows you to tuck it all away neatly and get rid of that impending sense of doom that a cluttered desk carries with it.
There you have it, our top tips for making the most out of your garden space. Your garden office can be a source of inspiration, so make it an airy, comfortable and enjoyable place to be. You want to remember you’re in the garden and sitting side by side with nature so make the most of those windows! As these spaces become more and more popular, people are finding new and innovative ways to make the best of their situation. Some buy swings, some buy beans bags, some build mezzanines – some people do all of those things! Remember, these are just some of our suggestions, your space if yours to do what you want with it. Have a look at our range here to begin the journey!